- Obtained dismissal of an investor’s claims arising from default in payment of commercial paper issued by a foreign corporation.
- Co-counsel in ERISA action alleging that plan fiduciaries breached duties of loyalty and prudence by selecting and maintaining inappropriate funds for company’s 401(k) plan.
- Resolved claims that clients committed fraud and civil RICO violations.
- Recovered investment losses sustained by a corporation and its pension fund resulting from a hedge fund’s collapse.
- Represented an automotive parts supplier in a lawsuit against a major automobile manufacturer for misrepresentation and breach of contract. Negotiated a business resolution of the parties’ dispute.
- Obtained dismissal of claims that the firm’s client breached a contract to sell shares of corporate stock.
- Recovered payment of suppliers’ claims against companies that had filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy through use of essential vendor and foreign vendor orders.
- Recovered damages owed due to supplier’s delivery of substandard raw materials.
- Defended a professional sports figure against a former assistant’s claims for breach of contract and harassment.
- Obtained dismissal for want of personal jurisdiction in several actions brought against non-resident companies.
- Advised foreign corporations on obligations under United States antitrust law arising from transactions with United States businesses.
- Advised domestic and foreign companies on compliance with anti-corruption laws.
- Advised foreign financial services firms on compliance with United States laws and regulations on asset control and anti-money laundering.
- Prepared contracts, settled contract disputes and resolved sales issues arising under the Uniform Commercial Code and the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods.
- Represented creditors in bankruptcy proceedings.
- Resolved claims involving allegations of environmental contamination, property devaluation and toxic releases.
- Represented clients before state and federal regulatory agencies.
PUBLICATIONS, SPEECHES AND PRESENTATIONS
- Author, “Preparing for Securities Litigation,” State Bar of Texas Advanced Business Law, November 2013
- Presenter, “The Attorney-Client Privilege for In House Attorneys,” Association of Corporate Counsel’s National Litigation Committee Meeting, 2012
- Author, “Will Rule 10b-5 Go Global? The Status of Private Rights of Action after Morrison v. National Australia Bank,” The Advocate, State Bar Litigation Section Report, Vol. 59, Summer 2012
- Author, “What Employers Need to Know About the Dodd-Frank Act,” University of Texas School of Law Labor and Employment Law Conference, 2011
- Author, “Asserting the Fifth Amendment in Civil Proceedings,” ABA’s Energy Litigation Newsletter, 2010
- Author, “Minimizing Liability in Fleet Operations,” Fleet Financials, 2010
OTHER ATTORNEY EXPERIENCE
- ChevronTexaco, Senior Counsel (1989-2002)
- Ross, Banks, May, Cron & Cavin, PC (1985-1989)
- Intern – Department of Justice, Antitrust Division
MEMBERSHIPS AND COMMUNITY
- State Bar of Texas
- American Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Turnaround Management Association
- 500 Leading Lawyers in America (Lawdragon)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rating – An AV certification is a testament to the fact that a lawyer’s peers rank the individual to be at the highest level of professional excellence.